Monday, October 17, 2011

Felting again

Just working on a quick little side project with the leftover wool I'm accumulating from making all of these presents for people.

The picture here is of two knitted i-cord bracelets, the one on the right has been felted.

I'm pretty sure it isn't felted enough though, it didn't shrink very much. It's very comfortable to wear, nice and light and soft. I tied a knot into it... but I'm not really sure why. I don't think I'm going to do it again.

I really like the look of these, but they aren't quite as BIG as I wanted them to be. I'm also having some difficulty finding beads that have a large enough hole to allow me to embellish the surface with beads before felting. I'm picturing the black bracelet with pink, or silver beads. It would be quite lovely.

Side note on the felting process, turns out that using my brewing bucket is outstanding. I can put the lid on (which has a hole to allow for an airlock) and bash away without spraying water anywhere. Very nice to watch TV while I'm felting, although I will say that my arms are killing me.

I remember at the gym, that my trainer told me that the reason my triceps were aching so much was because it isn't a muscle we use regularly. Well let me tell you Ms Trainer, I've found an activity that abuses the hell out of them.

I've ordered more yarn for presents, once I have some more leftovers I can play a bit more with this bracelet idea. How funky would it be to have 3 or 4 different coloured felted bands on your arm? I can't wait!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Like the bracelets. I know of a certain someone who would really like them as well...you know who I'm talking about.
Instead of looking for beads with a great big hole, why don't you think of wrapping them around yarn with same colour Nymo thread...that has beads attached. Then you could weave the chunky yarn through and around the bracelet. Or combine the chunky yarn with novelty yarn to add a little glitz...just a thought.

Anonymous said...

Hello and thank you for commenting on my blog. I'm beginning to wish I was knitting in DK rather than sock yarn. But I'm determined to persevere now I've started.

I'm looking forward to seeing how your felted cuffs turn out.

Post a Comment